PSU compatability

kikuta 13:54 09 Nov 2008

I am upgrading my PSU from the standard dell one to this:
click here
So that I can run a nvidia geforce 8800GT graphics card.
However I do not know if this PSU is compatible with my motherboard or processor.

My motherboard (as told by CPU-Z) is a dell one with this chipset:
Intel i945g/gz
My processor is an intel pentium 4 3GHZ

If this is not compatible, could you please tell me what type of PSU I need? It has to have a 6 pin connector for the card and it needs to be 400w or above.

Thanks for your time!

Technotiger 14:01 09 Nov 2008
  kikuta 20:54 09 Nov 2008

thanks, but ive been reading around, and now I have a slightly different question:

Can my existing stock dell 305 watt PSU unit run an 8800GT? Everything else in my computer is stock, except for 2gigs of RAM I added (3 in total now)

Ive been reading around, and opinion seems to be divided with half the people saying yeah, theyre underrated and im running a 8800gt on mine fine, and the other half are saying 'your crazy! your card is going to blow up!'

First though, does the dell PSU have the correct 6 pin connector for the 8800GT card? And is it safe to run it on it, or am I going to destroy my computer if I try to do this?

citadel 21:18 09 Nov 2008

doubt 305 is enough, you can get a converter to get a 6 pin connector, nothing will blow up. the card will probably cause crashes in games due to lack of power or it may give a beeping noise complaining.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 09 Nov 2008

Dell PSUs are notoriously weak, as with the other mass PC producers.
If you push it too hard and it goes it could take your motherboard hard drives and graphics card with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?