PSU advice for Dell PC

FGP 10:01 09 Jul 2008

I need to get a new PSU for my DELL Dimension 5100 so i can upgrade my graphics card to a Radeon HD 3850 256MB or NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

On a seperate posting Citadel recommended getting an 600w ATX PSU.

I haven't got a clue what i need to look for when trying to buy one. i.e. do they differ in size? and if so, do i need to measure the one that's already in my pc? are there good brands and bad brands to buy?

any help would be much appreciated, as I'm a bit clueless!!

smokingbeagle 10:19 09 Jul 2008

The Dell uses a standard ATX PSU. Dimensions are the same. I upgraded my Dell with this
click here

It is more audible than the Dell PSU but otherwise faultless.

citadel 10:19 09 Jul 2008

a few years ago people dell pc's had trouble upgading things because dell used non standard parts.
for a normal atx case a atx psu will fit. this is what most people have. for brands enermax, seasonic, tagan, corsair, antec are among the best makers.

oldbeefer2 10:26 09 Jul 2008

'It is more audible than the Dell PSU' - yes - if noise is an issue, be careful as some of the cheaper ones make a helluva racket.

FGP 10:30 09 Jul 2008

thanks guys (and again Citadel!!!)

kalignorgna 11:05 09 Jul 2008

the PSU deppends on what type of case you have desktop,mini tower,midi tower or server (500+ hight) tower. it also depends on case design and I'm sorry to say but a lot of dells are designed to acomadete dell specific power supplys only usaly due to an abnornal shape in the case and power supply (worse with desktops then towers). my advice is to check inside first a standered PSU will be square with four screw holes to atach to the case use this as an example click here if it does not conform to this design/dimetions then it is a nonstandered PSU and its best to buy a replacement from dell rather then elseware overwise use the linked site to check whats avalible at the moment

T0SH 13:57 09 Jul 2008

There is a service manual for this model available from here

click here

before deciding to upgrade the power supply why not try the new video card in the existing setup

Cheers HC

FGP 16:25 09 Jul 2008

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?