PSU

acceptmyname 19:16 11 Feb 2007

How would I know if a PSU is compatable with my computer or how could I find out if my existing PSU is capable of running a new graphics card

Iron Maiden 19:33 11 Feb 2007

This click here
should let you work out what you need with regards to wattage. Unless your pc is very old the cables on a new PSU will fit your board, might be worth doing a measurement check to make sure any new PSU will fit in the same place as the old

acceptmyname 19:35 11 Feb 2007

click here This is my comp spec, thanks for the help iron maiden.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 11 Feb 2007

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

ed-0 19:46 11 Feb 2007

You have quite a few threads running.;-) The psu follows from click here

woodchip 20:30 11 Feb 2007

You need also to check what connections are on the old PSU, and what you want on the new one

hi, i just posted on your other thread i bought this psu it fits straight in, and you can remove any leads you dont need and it runs near quite, would advise you not to cut corners on psu
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?