PSU

The Dazza 18:06 26 Aug 2005

On my machine I have the monitor powered directly from the pc. Does this strain the psu as I have been having problems which may relate to this. This relates to the problem I closed earlier.

woodchip 18:09 26 Aug 2005

No it comes from the 240 volts side of supply. but it's not a strait connection so it could pose a problem. May be worth putting a kettle lead strait to Monitor to see how it goes

bremner 18:10 26 Aug 2005

Strain is probably not the right word but yes it does take power.

It is a better solution not to power it from the PC but to connect it direct to the mains.

The Dazza 18:13 26 Aug 2005

...and see if my pc still boots up afterwards. Thanks

The Dazza 23:58 26 Aug 2005

...when the 2nd hdd wasn't plugged in I got the "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" message again. Swapped power supply now and testing to see if that was the problem...

DieSse 00:23 27 Aug 2005

"Does this strain the psu"

In no way whatsoever. It's not taking power *from* the PSU - it's taking mains power *via* the PSU - it's like having a two-way mains adapter in the PSU.

The Dazza 00:29 27 Aug 2005

thanks

The Dazza 13:59 27 Aug 2005

..changed the power supply. Worked for a bit then when I tried to boot up this morning it just froze again on the boot up splash screen "k8vse deluxe". Tried moving the RAM to a different slot to see if it was that - same result. Put RAM back in original slot and now machine doesn't even try to boot, I just get a blank screen. Does anybody know what the problem is?

woodchip 14:04 27 Aug 2005

You may have bent a connector in the Ram socket. Have a look in the socket with the power off, use a Magnifier, or it may not be fully in.

freaky 18:24 27 Aug 2005

What is the output capacity of your PSU ?

User-312386 21:19 27 Aug 2005

what mobo have you got? What size PSU did you buy and can you give me the voltage of the rails please (they are on the psu)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?