PST File Recovery

sannaz 16:35 04 Jan 2006

I accidently deleted a PST file while doing some housekeeping on my laptop.

It wasn't deleted to the recycle bin and system restore did not recover it.

Data lost is not critical but there were a few emails I would have like to have kept

I also carried out a defrag after deleting.

Can recommend a programme for recovering the PST file.

rawprawn 16:42 04 Jan 2006

Try "Restoration" I have found it very good at finding deleted files of any kind on the HD
click here

sannaz 10:46 05 Jan 2006

Thanks rawprawn. It is a brilliant little programme and recovered my PST file.

The only problem I now have is how to use the file again. I tried simply renaming the current (backup) file and then opening Outlook but got a message which said that the restored PST file wwa snot a personal folders file.

What does this mean? Any tips anyone?

Thanks

Big Elf 10:52 05 Jan 2006

You could try File, Import.

Big Elf 10:59 05 Jan 2006

Or search for and run the hidden file scanpst.exe which repairs damaged pst files.

rawprawn 11:03 05 Jan 2006

I'm glad you got it back, but apart from following Big Elf's advice I can't help but I don't understand why you can't import it as normal

sannaz 11:13 05 Jan 2006

Thanks rawprawn, your help has been invaluable.

Big Elf - I can File-Import as when you rename the recovered file as outlook.pst and try to open outlook it tells you that the file is not a personal folders file, and you can't open Outlook to import it.

scanpst.exe is not found - I run WIn XP SP2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Big Elf 11:19 05 Jan 2006

You need to search for hidden files to find it. It should be somewhere in c:\program files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt

Big Elf 11:21 05 Jan 2006

Or you could set 'show hidden files and folders' in Explorer - Tools, Options, View.

sannaz 11:31 05 Jan 2006

Thanks Big Elf, I have managed to find and run scanpst. I am still having problems reinstalling it though and haven't been able to recover the missing emails etc.

This isn't really a priority, just a labour of love as I wanted to try to correct my mistake in the first place.

I'll keep searching and try to find out how to complete the task.

Thanks for all your help

sannaz 12:35 05 Jan 2006

Have been checking and it appear sthat my pst file has been corrupted beyond sensible recovery. As this is not a priority and no valuable information has been lost, I don't propose spending any more time on it!

Thanks for all you help - I learned a valuable lession and found a great recovery programme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?