PSP interfers with file extensions

rolmes 22:47 13 Feb 2006

Since I installed PSP8 on my PC it keeps interfering with image files that I have saved on the hard drive. Firstly all my images had their file extensions changed automatically to .pspimage, then I was unable to open images sent by e-mail from a printer (using the extensions bmp, jpeg, png), and now the images that I have hyperlinked to from my web page no longer appear on the web page. The latter is most important for me to resolve. I have tried changing the image file extension from bmp to pspimage but this has no effect. Anyone in the know? Or any ideas? Received v.gratefully. Thanks.

Simsy 08:46 14 Feb 2006

that I understand a couple of things you have written;

"I was unable to open images sent by e-mail from a printer" Can you explain this a bit clearer please?

Can you also confirm what you mean by "my web page". Do you mean on your website, or on your hard drive?

Also;

"all my images had their file extensions changed automatically to .pspimage" Do you really mean that the name of the files was changed? Or do you mean that when looking in Windows Explorer, (or "My Documents", or any of it's variations), that the "type" of file has changed? See this example;

click here

You may have to untick "Hide extensions for known file types" to see the extension on the left of the image.

If what has changed is what's shown on the right hand side of the image, that's not the file name changing. What has happened is that during installation PSP8 has Associated all image file types with itself. (There is normally the option to do this with most graphics programms). This means that, for example, a jpeg image, as far as Windows is concerned, is now a PSP8 image and will open, by default, in PSP8. It does not mean that it has been renamed with a PSP8 extention.

If you have subsequently remnamed the images with the file extensions you suggest, then the browser probably wont open them, as a browser, (as far as I know?), wont recognise the file extension .pspimage

Hopefully we can clear this up, if it's as I think.

Regards,

Simsy

rolmes 19:43 14 Feb 2006

Thanks for your reply.
To clarify:
1. "printer" refered to a person working for a printing business.
2. The file extensions were not changed, PSP had associated all picture files with itself, which caused the images not to appear on the site. I just de-associated the (net compatible ie. jpg, gif) extensions of the images I am using on the site, thereby solving the problem.
Thnks.

Simsy 00:42 15 Feb 2006

it's sorted!

That "printer" thing really had me foxed. So obvious when you know. I couldn't see any other meaning other than the hardware one!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?