PS3.......... connection to internet?

Trotter2 17:02 26 Feb 2009

Hi, I'm trying to connect my PS3 to the internet, but I have no idea what to do or how to do it? Can somebody explain it in plain english as I'm not too good with technical jargon? Basically, I need a walk-through of how to connect to internet! I'm running Windows XP, don't know if it makes any difference! Many thanks.

mgmcc 17:17 26 Feb 2009

How you connect a PS3 to the internet will depend on how you are connecting with the PC at the moment.

If using a Router, then the PS3 would connect to the router too for its internet access. If the PC uses a USB ADSL Modem, then you need to connect the PS3 to the PC's network adapter and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection).

To enable "Internet Connection Sharing" in XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other users...etc". When you do this, Windows will configure the network adapter used to connect to the PS3 with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - the PS3's network adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the PC.

Trotter2 18:01 26 Feb 2009

sorry you've lost me. I opened network connections but can't find internet connection(modem connection), so I can't get any further. When I opened network connections I got connection manager or LAN or high speed internet. I don't know where to go from there. sorry, but I'm not good at computers!

Trotter2 18:04 26 Feb 2009

I'm using a wired router.

mgmcc 19:28 26 Feb 2009

As you're using a wired router, the PS3 will need to connect directly to the router by ethernet cable for its internet access.

My instructions relating to the PC were *ONLY* if you didn't have a router and were using a USB ADSL Modem to connect, which isn't the case. I know absolutely nothing about a PS3 but assume it does have a network adapter installed to connect to a "wired" router? If it should have only a "wireless" network adapter, then a different solution is required.

gazzaho 04:44 27 Feb 2009

This may be of some help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?