PS2 boot up problem

cosh 19:02 15 Jan 2003
  cosh 19:02 15 Jan 2003

I have just been given an old IBM PS2 machine without a mouse.
When I first plugged it in I got a windows 3.1 dialogue box.
I could not shut it down properly so I swithched off.
I plugged in a mouse, probably not a ps2 mouse, and switched on but now all I get on the scrren is :-
I see it counting up to 8064 Kb ok it does this twice then puts up the number 305 which I assume is an error code gives 2 beeps , clears the screen and then writes 305 = " draws a red circle with OK in it but a line thru it" and an arrow pointing to a representation of some pages of paper with IBM written on them.
It will not respond to the keyboard nor the mouse--I now have a ps2 mouse connected but it makes no difference.
Can any body suggest what to do? Thanks Keith

Dodger148 21:42 15 Jan 2003

The mouse from memory performed better if it was a genuine IBM PS/2 mouse, problems could occur if
other makes were used.
You need the IBM reference disk, place in fdd then start up pc, will then diagnose.
There were a few models of the PS/2 some looked different from others find out which off plate it might be say PS/2-55SX...... or something similar.
There used to e a list of IBM error codes on their web site.
Sometimes turning off and rebooting can sort some of the mysterious errors, have you tried that

WaTcHiNg 21:50 15 Jan 2003

Is 305 not keyboard error?
Have you plugged the mouse in the k/b port?

cosh 22:10 15 Jan 2003

Thanks Dodger148 and Watching for you interest.
I do not have an IBM reference disc and no I have not plugged the keyboard into the mouse hole. I am now using a genuione ps2 mouse.
Do you think putting a boot up floppy from my more modern PC running windows 98 may do more harm than good?
Regards

cosh 23:25 26 Oct 2004

I have now scrapped my PS2 mchine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?