Proxy server on one browser only

dont use one 15:53 11 Sep 2011

I travel a lot so I use a proxy server; if I set this on in IE9, it also changes my other browsers. Can I set to run on just one browser so that i use say IE9 with the proxy and Google Chrome without at the moment I can only have on or off on all browsers.

mgmcc 22:39 11 Sep 2011

As this is a configuration in Control Panel > Internet Options (although it can be accessed from within IE's Tools menu), it relates to internet connections generally, rather than being a "browser-specific" setting.

dont use one 06:44 12 Sep 2011

it there a browser secific?

mgmcc 08:28 12 Sep 2011

"it there a browser specific?"

As you've discovered, Internet Explorer uses the system wide settings which, if enabled, will affect all browsers. If another browser has the option in its own settings to use a proxy server that should be specific to the browser. Firefox does have this option, I've never used Google Chrome.

What you would have to do is use Internet Explorer without a Proxy Server and then configure your alternative browser to use one.

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 12 Sep 2011

Firefox allows you to override the system-wide proxy settings.

If you're interested then you'll find it under Options -> Advanced -> "Network" tab -> "Settings" button -> "Manual Proxy configuration".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?