Protection Error

yogibear 18:41 21 Aug 2005

I have just installed Commandos2 on my PC and am trying to start it. However, I keep getting this message:

Protection Error

Debugger detected - please close it down and restart!

WindowsNT users: please note that having the Winice?Softice service installed means that you are running a debugger.

I hace searched for the two programmes indicated, found nothing, and I am running XP Pro...not NT.

I have checked here for similar probs, and have tried one or two of the fixes indicated, to no avail.

Anyone else had similar?

gudgulf 18:49 21 Aug 2005

Could be the copy protection on the cd kicking in.....do you have any disc copying programs such as Clone CD(normal cd burning software such as Nero is ok) on your system? If you do you will need to remove it in order to get the game to run.

gudgulf 19:11 21 Aug 2005

I've also found that the debugger message can be caused by DivX codecs
(version 5.1) so if you have those on your system that might be the problem.

yogibear 22:29 21 Aug 2005

I only have Nero on my system. I have uninstalled all DiVX files, but I still get the Debug message. I have tried to update all my system drivers, but nothing seems to help.

gudgulf 23:08 21 Aug 2005

click here;f=22;t=000020;p=0

Read right through this link.....Nero is in fact mentioned as a possible source of the error.In particular the Nero ImageDrive function.

yogibear 20:46 22 Aug 2005

Sorry gudgulf, tried that link and it doesn't work.

yogibear 20:51 22 Aug 2005

It couldn't be anything to do with Registry Mechanic could it?

Joe R 20:53 22 Aug 2005
  gudgulf 22:03 22 Aug 2005
  yogibear 10:08 23 Aug 2005

Thanks all. It seems like it was Nero all the time, uninstalled it and trhe game seems ok now.

Gonna be a bind burning discs now though, I'll have to try a different software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?