Protection error

geoff47 02:19 22 Jun 2005

I have had a torrid couple of days.Trying to get a internet connection on my daughters Laptop.To cut a long story shorter,I will concentrate on this evenings events.
I arrived home from the local PC shop armed with a length of cable,a CardBus PC card for the winXP laptop,and a PCI Adapter for the Win 98 PC.
I had previously fitted an Ethernet card so was confident I would succeed,this time.I found the laptop had a suitable CardBus all ready(I believe that it is and that is what it is called)
So I proceeded to fit the PCI adapter in the PC.
All went well until I tried the Laptop to see if I could connect,no I couldn't.I tried over and over, went through the various wizards,nothing.
So I investigated in the PC's device manager and found the yellow query against the PCI card.
Tried to reinstall the drivers,rebooted,and got into a cycle of getting the warning "While initializing Device UDF....you must reboot your computor"
This happened again and again,I resited the PCI into another slot and tried again same situation.
I have now taken the Card out so I can come here to ask what I should do.
Is it the driver CD that is corrupt,or have I damaged the card when installing it?
I have visited MS Support and got a long winded resolution but it involves delving into areas that I am not happy to go into with my expertise.
Any help with this one would be very very welcome.
Many thanks.
Geoff47

retep888 02:54 22 Jun 2005

Why do you need a cardbus card for your daughter's laptop,there should be a lanport(RJ45)integrated,
right?

I think the best bet is a router(wired or wireless),
linking the two PCs.

Can you consider upgrading your Win98 pc to xp,
from personal experience,networking two xp machines or Win98 to Xp machine(Main) is a lot easier than the other way round.

retep888 02:55 22 Jun 2005

Why do you need a cardbus card for your daughter's laptop,there should be a lanport(RJ45)integrated,
right?

I think the best bet is a router(wired or wireless),
linking the two PCs.

Can you consider upgrading your Win98 pc to xp,
from personal experience,networking two xp machines or Win98 to Xp machine(Main) is a lot easier than the other way round.

geoff47 10:08 22 Jun 2005

I discovered the lanport when arriving home and was going to return the cardbus card today.

My problem now is why is the computor refusing to boot with the PCI card installed ?

Is it a no go with the card or a driver problem ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie