Protection Error 15

Anonymouse 21:38 27 May 2003

On Win 98SE - this "Protection Error 15" error message pops up on a cold boot. I click OK, and the PC seems to be working normally - nothing evidently wrong with anything.

In Device Manager - System Board extension for ACPI BIOS has the error message:

"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10).
Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

I've tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS - i.e. using PnP instead and on rebooting Device Manager then gives the same error message as before - but now for - System Board extension for ACPI BIOS.

Is the motherboard dying/injured ?

It's an AOpen MX64.

Any advice appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:50 27 May 2003

click here is worth a looksee. Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for the MB?

G

Gongoozler 21:57 27 May 2003

Hi Anonymouse, there is a list of the Windows error codes here:
click here

I found an interesting possible explanation on this site click here

"The "System Board Extension for ACPI BIOS" is a motherboard resource/component. Conflict in the device manager is a non fatal error which results as the memory is unreported between 1790100-179010ff and is marked used by BIOS. This does not affect the functionality of ACPI as it still can be used by another device alias.

Per Microsoft, the address assigned to a device alias can be used by different devices added to the system. Therefore, although the properties of the device tab may show a resource conflict and report a CODE 15, the resource tab may not show any conflict.

System Board Extensions for ACPI BIOS is disabled when a system has a memory configuration using a 128MB memory DIMM in association with another 128 or 64MB DIMM and the BIOS is 7/25/00 or is upgraded to that date. System will place a bang on system board extensions for ACPI bios in Device Manager."

jazzypop 21:58 27 May 2003

From the horse's mouth - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017