protecting pages

tanith 12:16 23 Jan 2006

I look after an intrannet site at work, I have little experience of web design and use netobjects fusion to design the pages, I want to put some sensitive content on the site and wish to restrict the changing and printing of the content, I accept that it is just about impossible to lock it up completely but would like to deter people as much as possible from being able to print/change the content,
Any help would be appreciated

ade.h 17:08 23 Jan 2006

Assuming that this intranet site works basically like any standard internet site - ie. it's viewable but not editable - then that's half your concerns covered anyway, but I don't know of any way to disable someone's ability to print or save what they see on screen.

PurplePenny 20:26 23 Jan 2006

As ade.h says, someone else changing the content should not be a problem. The only people who can edit the content are the ones with editing permissions/access. If you are the only one that can get to the site to edit it then you are the only one that can change the content.

If it is on an intranet surely everyone who has access to it will be a member of staff so can't the pages just come with an instruction that members of staff are not allowed to print out the content of the page?

If the content that you are worried about is a PDF then you might be able to use Adobe's own Digital Rights Management to control the download of it. Adobe's DRM is used by the British Library to ensure that a PDF of an article is only downloaded and opened once. I don't know whether it would be possible to set it up to allow the PDF to be read but not printed: I have absolutely no idea how it works from the creation end; I've only used it from the receiving end.

But if someone really wants the content of your page they can just copy and paste it, click on their brower's 'print' button or grab a screenshot of it using 'print screen' on their keyboard.

Forum Editor 00:27 24 Jan 2006

of a PDF document, and this is how to do it with the PDF open in Acrobat 7.0 :-

Go to: Document>secure>show security settings for this document

Choose Password security from the security method menu.

From the compatibility menu, choose the earliest version of Acrobat that you want to be able to open the document

Click the checkbox under permissions, and type a password. This will not be required to view the document - but will prevent anyone else changing the security settings for it.

Choose which printing and editing changes are allowed.

Click OK, type the permissions password again, and click OK

tanith 09:25 24 Jan 2006

Thanks to you all, a problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?