Protecting my home network on the net?

fredo3 23:01 24 Jan 2004

HI, How do I protect my home network with the following configuration in mind:- I want to run a computer on the internet with no firewall or antivirus. The reason for this is to create a dedicated customised online gaming machine and having no firewall or antivirus on the internet gateway computer(gaming machine) improves online gaming no end and enables friends to connect with no problems. My dilemma is that I have a small network of 3 computers that will access the internet through this gaming machine and I'm worried as to how exposed these 3 computers will be even with a firewall on each of them as all 4 will be on the same network. Its a USB broadband modem from pipex. Hope I've made some sort of sense! Any suggestions please. Thanks

Chegs ® 06:16 25 Jan 2004

I would presume you would need a router to connect the 3 machines,so set it up as 3 pc's->router->games pc with modem installed.Then install a software firewall on the games machine,with it switched off whilst gaming(if you want)The router usually has an inbuilt firewall,so the 3 pc's have double protection if you put software firewalls on them.

fredo3 11:28 25 Jan 2004

thanks chegs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?