property box to turn firewall on?

blackmischief 00:45 10 Nov 2003

when I go to control panel,network connections and right click on "AOL dial-on-demand feature..."to get the properties box,so I can turn the firewall on , nothing happens,the properties box wont appear
so how do I turn on the firewall option? the properties box works on the XXX-server dial up
option - does this matter? Am I missing something obvious here?

Djohn 00:55 10 Nov 2003

Are you using Broadband or dial-up please, and how many Icons are there in the box referring to AOL?

blackmischief 01:15 10 Nov 2003

im using dial up and it says
" AOL-dial on demand feature-
please do NOT delete this-
Disconnected " infront of this there are
two grey monitor screens with a tick inside a circle next to them and two lines connecting to a phone icon

Djohn 01:51 10 Nov 2003

AOL always hide their Connection properties with the first Icon, the one that says do not remove.

Right click on the second Icon and choose properties. [2PC's & phone] From the window that appears, click on the "Advanced tab" and down near the bottom you will see in blue letters. "Network setup wizard". click on that and follow the instructions. I think it's the third window that comes up, you will see three options, use the middle one which says.

"This computer connects to the internet, I do not have a network yet"

A couple of more clicks and your system firewall will be set up to cover AOL. Post back if you have any problems, but you should be OK if you follow the guide.

Maybe a good idea to print this out first. Just highlight the text in this message and click on print, select "Selection only" and print. j.

Djohn 12:02 10 Nov 2003

No, they work fine, I am using XP's firewall with AOL broadband, and used to with dial-up. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?