Promlem concceting to the web with Windos XP

Pinochio 23:35 28 Aug 2003

I am able to run both Windows 98 and Windows XP on my PC.

When I want to connect to the Internet when running Windows 98 I simply click on the Internet Expoler (IE) icon and I am automatically connected to the Internet.

However, if when running XP I click on the IE icon, although IE starts up as normal, I get an error message saying "could not connect to remote server".

My question is "how can I get IE to connect automatically to the www whilst I am running Windows XP?

hugh-265156 00:34 29 Aug 2003

how do you connect to the internet?is this dial up or broadband?

xp normally does a good job of detecting and installing drivers for most hardware if it is set up correctly in the bios.as windows 98 on the same computer has no problems,i would say it could be a modem driver for xp is required .have a look in:control panel /system/hardware/device manager and look for question marks beside your modem or nic etc,if there is any then drivers are required.

where you able to activate xp via the internet when installing it?

Pinochio 22:27 29 Aug 2003

I have a dial-up connection and the latest drivers dowloaded from the Nvidia web site. I was able to activate XP via the internet.

Any ideas?

Djohn 22:38 29 Aug 2003

Can't check for you as I am on AOL but if you go to start, then "Connect to" then show all connections, you will see an Icon for your ISP, right click on that and choose properties. The setting you want is in there somewhere.

Sorry just can't remember, but maybe you can cross check it with your 98 settings as well. But in there is a box that needs a tick, then when you open your browser, you will also connect to the web through your ISP. and when you close your browser, you will see a small window asking if you wish to stay on-line or disconnect. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie