Projector and TV screen input conflicting

Damarc 13:21 07 Feb 2015

I have an Acer Iconia hybrid tablet/laptop with mini hdmi input. I use this input for a projector that has the multi pin plug [sorry can't remember the name] so I have an adaptor between the two which has worked fine for two projector screens.

Then I started to use the same mini hdmi input socket for attaching to my tv, which also worked fine [when I had worked out the source on my TV!].

However since I used the tv as a screen, my laptop won't work with the projector. I have used the Fn key plus F5 screen key and have tried to move it from single pc screen to duplicate but it won't click on it, although it will click on 'extend' and 'second screen only'.

I am assuming that my going onto the tv on the same mini hdmi has had some effect on it because everything was working fine before with the projector. I have rebooted umpteen times but to no avail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 07 Feb 2015

graphics will out put to two screens

1st being the Laptops own screen and 2nd the HDMI port

you need to check the display settings for the second screen as they will have been changed from what is need for the projector to what is needed for the TV.

Its probably the refresh rate that needs adjusting.

FN F5 just scrolls between latop secreen only - laptop + HDMI - hdmi only.

Damarc 19:57 07 Feb 2015

Hi Fruitbat, how do I adjust the refresh rate please? Do I have to be connected to the projector to do that? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 07 Feb 2015

Yes connect the projector and switch on

right click on the desktop and select screen resolution

on the next scree make sure you set it to Display 2 (second screen it should show projector)

you can then try changing the resolution and see if the projector then throws an image wait between changes for windows to carry out the changes do not try to change too fast.

Damarc 15:57 19 Feb 2015

Hi Fruitbat I has first opportunity to do this but to no avail. I have done it in various ways, through Powerpoint, slide show, resolution; through control panel, resolution, duplicate monitor and your way on desk top. As I said the function key will bring up the alternatives but it won't stay on duplicate monitor. I did as you said and took time between the various resolution changes.
I also checked on devices whilst I was connected to the projector and the projector did not show up on the list. Does the device list only show up those that have software loaded onto the pc, such as my printer or should it show up anything that is connected to it? I returned home and tried the tv/mini hdmi connection, hoping that I hadn't mucked that up with all my changing the resolutions. It did throw a wobbly but sorted itself out.
Any more ideas please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?