Programs to use taskbar area once it is hidden?

Shortstop 13:56 12 Oct 2007

Hi,

Win XP SP2.

I have hidden the taskbar & would like programs to default to use the whole of the available screen - yet they want to leave the area that the taskbar will occupy when it is re-activated. I resize the window for each program, click on the icon on the left of the screen, choose close - but when they are re-opened, they leave the bottom of the desktop visible.

I have ticked 'Hide Taskbar' in the properties and have unticked 'Keep on top', yet the space is still being left.

I have just reformatted my PC [once a year] and had this working OK before, but I cannot recall what settings I have still to change.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Shortstop 16:44 12 Oct 2007

^Bump^

Shortstop 12:09 13 Oct 2007

^ for the weekend gang!^

tullie 12:30 13 Oct 2007

Just wondering why you would want to hide the taskbar?When i run something it runs over the top of it.

Shortstop 12:35 13 Oct 2007

Well, I've run a Vista looky-like program with a sidebar, so don't really need the taskbar to be visible anymore.

Even so, whether the taskbar is visible or not, nothing wants to cover the space 'pre-allocated' to the taskbar.

It's only a minor irritation - but they can be the worst as it WAS working ok before the format!

[email protected] 12:39 13 Oct 2007

Hi Shortstop,
ive got object dock,similar to your sidebar.
Mine has an option within the sidebar to hide windows taskbar,could that be it?

Shortstop 12:57 13 Oct 2007

I hadn't thought of that, but no I cannot see anything to force windows to use this little bit of screen.

Used to have Object dock, but Destop Sidebar [click here] is also free and, to me, has more options on display.

For now I have made the taskbar visible & hidden all options. Like I said, just annoying because it was set up just as I want it to be now.

Thanks - I'll keep this running for a while in case anyone has the answer.

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?