programs trying to access the internet

Groblok 20:52 27 Dec 2006

I run zone alarm free and have numerous programs that ask for access to the internet.
I have set all of them to ask before connecting but this is a pain having to click 'allow' or 'deny' each time.
As a general rule I allow those ones associated with a program I have recently started and deny the rest.
Does anyone know of a list of programs which are safe to allow access to the internet or, preferably, a list of the unsafe ones.
I haven't a clue which to allow from the descriptions in zone alarm

The Kestrel 21:45 27 Dec 2006

I use McAfee SiteAdvisor click here which is free. Go to the link and read about the program and decide whether it would help with your problem.

birdface 22:35 27 Dec 2006

You want kerio click here Full version for 4 weeks then if you dont want to pay, Reverts to free version,If you run it in easy mode ,its just like windows firewall,Very seldom get a pop up from it, So easy to use,

Groblok 12:26 28 Dec 2006

Thanks Kestrel. The site advisor is great when browsing the internet.
Thanks Buteman but zone alarm is great and I can stop the pop ups using it but im afraid neither suggestion addresses the issue. Perhaps I wasn't clear about it.
Id just like to know what programs/applications are safe to allow access to the internet from my computer. I want to be sure they are not trojans or spyware etc up to no good.

Jak_1 14:59 28 Dec 2006

Programs that need access are:-
Your firewall
Your antivirus program (for updates)
Your internet browser
Your email client ie outlook express

Those I would say are the essentials. Any other program that requires access you may have will be a personal thing such as a vpn, msn, media players etc.

Hope this helps.

Jak_1 15:00 28 Dec 2006

Forgot to mention, your antispyware progs will require access also for updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?