Programs running, but not showing up.

Nelthar 13:00 16 Feb 2010

Ok I'm running a custom built PC (used for gaming mostly and University work) with Windows XP as the OS.

Basically, programs are running (such as Spotify, MSN, Steam, iTunes etc...) but not showing up on the screen. I know this because when I restart the PC they show up, but its mid process of restarting so I can't (or at least have no idea how to) stop the restarting process.
Not only this but my browsers wont show up either, except Google Chrome, which then crashes when I try to go to any website.
I also can't copy large files as that crashes the My Computer window. Which is the only thing that runs.

I have not downloaded any thing, suspicious (last thing downloaded was the Tool Set from Bioware for Dragon Age: Origins). I use Spybot as my anti spyware and stuff. The only thing I can think of is that I do leave my PC on for extended periods of time, up to 4 to 5 days, this is because I use it to listen to music as I go to bed.

Is it possible I have over heated the Pc? Though this did start after turning the PC off. It did used to crash regularly but that seemed to go away by itself.

The PC is about 2 years old, so the motherboard might be gone, which I hope not.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice, in advance.

howard64 14:38 16 Feb 2010

this could be overheating make sure there is no dust or fluff around the air vents. When you start the pc hit the f8 key before the windows logo appears and get into safe mode. Run system restore from there and go back to when the pc was ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?