programs or ie wont open

chippy+ 12:30 06 Dec 2004

hi
can anyone help my wife closed one of my computers XP when i switched on the following morning everything seemed fine untill i tried to run any programs or connect to the internet nothig opens i started in safe mode but sys restore cant restore it to a previous state when i put it off then on again it sometimes wors but not always can someone help
chippy

ACOLYTE 12:39 06 Dec 2004

You dont have to be in safe mode to use system restore,it can be run in normal windows,launch it from start,programs,accesories,system tools.if that dont work try a system file check
type sfc /scannow in the run box.

ACOLYTE 12:41 06 Dec 2004

Forgot to say you may need your xp cd for the file check.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:01 06 Dec 2004

click here

Go to item 12 (left hand column) download fix ..

EXE (lnk and regfile

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:02 06 Dec 2004

click here

Go to item 12 (left hand column) download fix ..

EXE (lnk and regfile) fix for Windows XP

chippy+ 13:44 06 Dec 2004

hi tried sfc /scannow get the same message as for the programs windows cannot access the specified device pathe or file you mite not have apprprate permission
chippy

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:20 06 Dec 2004

Do your programs work if you go to them via the Start button, All Programs etc?

chippy+ 14:23 07 Dec 2004

hi thanks for all who replied i noticed that my documents folder was working and also spy sweeper in the notification bar on comparig the settings in spy sweeper on my other pc i noticed adifference it just needed a tick removed from the spy installation sheild just unticked and all is well iwould advise anyone withe spysweeper to look out for this thaks again to all who tried to help chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?