Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X
I've had this peculiar problem for the last couple of days:
2 programs - SpywareBlaster (SB) 3.0 (yes, the new version) & GetRight (GR) 5.1 - refuse to open or run.
If I click on their icons or their .exe files in Program Files the outcome is the same. The PC seems to be opening them (hourglass mouse) but a few seconds later (or even minutes) they do NOT open or run.
Sometimes they seem to be running in the background (they appear in the Ctrl+Alt+Del Close Program window) but their windows or interfaces do not display.
If I reinstall an older version of SB it works but when I try to update it, I'm prompted to download the new version. The old version will not allow me to download the latest definitions.
If I uninstall/reinstall GR I have the same problem.
GR problems started 2 days ago, SB a day ago. SB problems ever since I downloaded & installed the new version. Have not changed anything else in the last few days. Reinstalled Visual Basic as one SB fix suggested.
My PC: Win98se. Scanned for viruses, ad/spyware, scandisk, etc., etc. No problems.
Has anyone else had this problem & what to do to rectify it please? Any suggestions/links most welcome. Ta, G
Are you having similar problems too?
no, bumped you up from page 4. you was in danger of slipping away
Thanks again goonerbill - very kind : )
Apparently the SB makers have been getting similar reports/problems with SB on certain Win98 & Me machines & are working on a fix - click here;action=display;threadid=26356
I've found that both SB & GR work fine in Safe mode (apart from the obvious inconveniences in Safe mode).
Does anyone know why these programs open/run in Safe mode but refuse to operate properly in normal Windows conditions? If anyone can answer this we may be able to fix both these problems.
Downloaded SB 3.1 & this seems to work OK.
Still cannot get GR to work though. Hope they come out with a newer version that does! (Need a free d'loader with an automatic dialup/d'load scheduling feature - tried the excellent Internet Download manager but the free trial has expired.)
Have you tried unticking certain things in sblaster IE blocks list some of those may be the cause like browser plugins and active x blocks,just a thought but theres a lot of blocks to try out and it could take a while but it sounds like a conflict between what spywareblaster blocks and what GR does.Having said that i usr DAP7 with it and i have had no problems although im running xp home.
Thanks for that, Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË. Was worth a try. Disabled & uninstalled SB. Same result: GR's GUI just will NOT display. GR & SB lived happily together for several weeks before problem ocurred. Have tried all the fixes on the GR website for similar problems to no avail.
By the way, beware of DAP7 - it is not only adware (which isn't so bad) but spyware infested too - click here. Could it be the cause of your non-working DVD drive as ted bear experienced in this thread? click here. I used it some time ago but became suspicious when my firewall would warn whenever I closed it. One can understand the program wanting to access the Net when opened or trying to download files but why was it doing so each time I tried to close it? Seems very dodgy to me.
Thx You make a good point and the link makes good reading,but i have never had and probs like that with it ok i get a few adds that can be turned off and blocked using Spybot and a few reg Dwords but never any spyware ive checked,cleaned and found none and it never tries to accsess the net unless i wont it to,the cookies can be a pain but i use cookie wall and once i block them i never get them back as for the dvd player i got a new one and it works fine now old one in another rig and still wont play dvd's lol.Have you tried an older version of get right may be a flaw in the new one.
this is totally free.also adware and spyware free and works very well.
auto scans for viruses etc too free version click here
Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË - Yes, have just tried an earlier version (5.02) & it appears to be doing the business : ) . Many thanks for your help! Seems strange as I'd been using GetRight 5.1 with no problems for many weeks & all of a sudden it stopped working for no explicable reason.
huggyg71 - thanks for that. Had tried the Pro version of Stardownloader & found it very good. The problem is that the free version doesn't have an automatic dialup-download feature.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.