Programs not able to use internet connection

japiers 18:05 16 Feb 2009

Hoping someone can help. I use firefox for the internet but since friday it comes up with the message "connection was refused" it now joins a line of programs that won't recognise my internet connection, including IE, AVG and Football Manager Live. itunes, Safari and AdAware still work fine - at first I thought it was an issue with my vodafone mobile broadband but it is exactly the same problem with home broadband.

At first I thought it could be a firewall problem but with firewall turned off it is the same, have tried switching off and even uninstalling adware/virus checkers etc.

Have checked the connection settings, repaired the connections, flushed dns, stopped and restarted dns, but it still persists

Any ideas will be gratefully received, cheers

brundle 18:35 16 Feb 2009

What error message does IE show? Cannot find page? Is it the same for any page you visit? Can you ping the site(s) you can't access from a browser? By domain name and IP?

japiers 19:31 16 Feb 2009

ie says

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address."

Mozilla says
"Failed to Connect
The connection was refused when attempting to contact"

Same message with every page I've tried

Have pinged the following sites by domain and IP
click here - request timed out
click here - worked
click here - worked
click here - worked
click here - worked

All are sites are accessible via Safari and none work on IE or Firefox

japiers 19:32 16 Feb 2009

apologies - didn't mean to post the sites as links
And thanks for your help!

brundle 19:47 16 Feb 2009

I was thinking DNS problem, but unlikely if Safari works, and DNS/IP ping results match for individual sites.

Not a proxy problem - IE and Firefox don't share proxy information.

If you're using any firewall software other than the built-in Windows firewall, uninstall it - just disabling it may not be enough.

What other security software are you using? And are you on 2000/XP/Vista?

Re links; No problem, the forum converts them automatically.

japiers 21:10 16 Feb 2009

Thanks!!

I'm on XP have AVG, Adaware, which I use then spybot search and destroy and Norton Internet Security and a load of Lenovo Care things that came with the PC have now uninstalled it all and everything appears to be working ok, will reinstall what I need and hopefully there won't be any more issues

Thanks very much!
Really appreciate your advice!

brundle 10:38 17 Feb 2009

Glad you're sorted.

"I'm on XP have AVG, Adaware, which I use then spybot search and destroy and Norton Internet Security" - only install one resident anti-virus product and firewall at once.

brundle 10:38 17 Feb 2009

Glad you're sorted.

"I'm on XP have AVG, Adaware, which I use then spybot search and destroy and Norton Internet Security" - only install one resident anti-virus product and firewall at once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?