Programs Hanging in Windows Xp

Mat2 17:14 29 Nov 2003

Hi Folks

I hope someone can help me with a puzzle on my fathers computer, lately the following programs seem to hang and a regular basis. The programs are Explorer.exe, wmplayer.exe iexplorer.exe. Xp is all up to date with the updates and service packs. He Has run Adware6 ,Spybot aswell and defrag the hard drives and he also has no virus

The Spec: AMD Duron 800mhz, cd rom & Writer, 20 & 40GB HDD, Jetway V266b Motherboard, 768mb Sdram, 64MB Vid, Creative SoundCard.

Any insight would be greatly recieved

Mat2

Tried to do a repair in XP? Doesnt remove your setting's, just re-install's all the program's back. The only thing you would then have to do is to re-install the Service pack's.

Mat2 17:30 29 Nov 2003

Hi Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk

Thanks for your reply.I will tell my father to try your suggestion.

Many Thanks

Mat2

Mat2 17:41 30 Nov 2003

Hi Folks

After reinstalling XP has suggested by Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk thanks again, the problem seamed to be still there. But now when you log off the internet and return to the desktop a faint outline of possibly a program seam to still be running but there is no name on the toolbar, what ever program is running he get 100% cpu usage constantly. Another thing when you log on to the internet through his provider which is AOL, MSM Messenger starts receiving messages but it's options for that are untick and XP has been told not to load it, this was done using msconfig and the startup settings. Could this have some thing to do with the explorer.exe, wmplayer.exe and iexplorer or is just that there is not enough proccessing power for all this to run at once.

Mat2

Mat2 16:20 02 Dec 2003

Hi Folks

The problem turned out to be another MSN Messenger running in the background. To cure the problem we re formatted the hard drive and re install the pc.

Mat2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?