programmes to new hard drive

yorkieman 20:50 27 May 2004

can someone help me i am stuck.i have installed a external hard drive ( maxtor) evrything has gone ok but i dont know how to transfer some of my files and programmes to the new drive. when i right click on the file it does not show the drive it shows all the other drive letters but not the one for the maxtor drive (j)how do i transfer them over? i am using windows 98 se

Gaz 25 20:53 27 May 2004

You need to format the drive first.

Its in device manager and drive management.

yorkieman 21:29 27 May 2004

i have formatted the drive it shows up when i go into my computer but does not show when i right click on a file i want to transfer all my internal and external drives are there

beeuuem 22:22 27 May 2004

I take it you want to use the 'Send To'option.
In My Computer create a shortcut to your new drive, (right click and Create Shortcut) The new shortcut will be placed on the desktop. 'Cut' or 'Copy' this shortcut
Go to My Computer > open the C:\Windows folder and then the 'Send To' folder.

Paste the shortcut in 'Send To' and the new drive will appear in the right click Send To menu.

yorkieman 23:20 27 May 2004

many thanks everyone problem solved with your help

woodchip 23:26 27 May 2004

If you cannot see the drive in Explorer you need to get it recognised with the BIOS, Then you just "right" click the drive in explorer and choose format like you would a floppy disc

woodchip 23:30 27 May 2004

You cannot trancfer Programs they will not work....... you will have to remove in Add Remove then reinstal on to new drive. It will still load some files to C:\ and write to the Registry So if you format C: you would still have to reload the programs to the new drive again as the would not work more often than not

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?