Programme will not open

n4165si 14:16 02 Apr 2008

I have installed a programme on my xp2 machine and looking in the Add and Remove programmes it has installed, but when i click on the icon on the desktop ,a panel comes up with ffmc has encountered a problem and needs to close, looking in the event viewer it states its an error id 1000
i have been in touch with the makers of the software and so far although they have been very helpful and have suggested various things ,it still comes up with the same panel when i select the icon .
Has anyone else had this type of problem and how did you overcome it?
ffmc being the name of the software

johndrew 14:47 02 Apr 2008

Not knowing what you have been told to try, have you tried the following?

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Appearance and Themes.
3. Click Display.
4. On the Settings tab, click Advanced.
5. On the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware acceleration slider control to the third position (from the left), and then click OK.
6. Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.

This often works for other software with a similar shutdown so hopefully .....

n4165si 15:07 02 Apr 2008

johndrew
I have tried your suggestion ,but no luck,still the same old panel appearing

DieSse 15:23 02 Apr 2008

Can you tell us what the program is please - then we may be able to look into it a bit more easily.

DieSse 15:26 02 Apr 2008

event error id1000 usually has a lot more information with it - is there, and can you post it please.

n4165si 15:46 02 Apr 2008

DieSse
the program is Family tree ,Charting companion, made by Progeny genealogy Canada
the error in the event viewer reads under Application
Event Error i d 1000
Faulting application. ffmcc.exe.version 2.0.3.0
faulting module.xassist.dll version 1.1.0.0
fault address Ox00003656

dagbladet 16:03 02 Apr 2008

Here's a support page for your application. There may be something in here that is of use.
Sure the problem is not ftmcc.exe as opposed to ff. If so there appears to be a recurring issue. Good luck.

click here

DieSse 16:05 02 Apr 2008

Is this you? click here

I only ask to know if you've been following what they are suggesting.

n4165si 16:29 02 Apr 2008

DieSse
yes, and have been following very close to what they have been suggesting and they have sent me new versions of their software and that will not open either. and yes you are correct it states ftmcc, but i seem to be getting nowhere.

DieSse 17:34 02 Apr 2008

Have you tried clearing out all the temp files first - then reinstalling.

The standard WinXP Disk Cleaner will do it.

n4165si 10:15 03 Apr 2008

DieSse
yes i have, could you explain the to me , do you have to go offline when you disable all my anti virus software and including windows anti virus together with its Firewall,or if i do it while still online while trying to re install this programme or will i end up with a lot of nasties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?