programme updates always open explorer and not firefox

johnnyrocker 22:05 14 Jan 2014

windows xp sp3 following some advice from this forum earlier regarding making firefox default instead of explorer which i thought would cure my problem by setting access and priorities via add/remove. i find that any programme which has an update to download opens explorer which i do not want to happen.

any advice or help please?

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 14 Jan 2014

Click the Start button, then click on the Control Panel icon to open the Windows Control Panel.

Click the Add or Remove Programs icon to open the Add or Remove Programs applet.

On the left side of the window, click the Set Program Access and Defaults icon.

Click on the Custom radio button to expand the Custom category.

Underneath Choose a default Web browser click the radio button next to Mozilla Firefox.

alanrwood 11:01 15 Jan 2014

As I understand it Windows update in XP always uses IE irrespective of default browser choice. I may be wrong so await confirmation from others who have managed to do it in XP SP3

johnnyrocker 13:00 15 Jan 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\, unfortunately mate i have tried that which is what i posted as believing to have sorted problem.

thanks for effort

johnny

spuds 13:17 15 Jan 2014

I have had the same problem, and perhaps would agree with alanwood regarding XP using IE. I eventually gave up trying to remedy the issue, and just carried on as before. Not the required solution, but apparently it works?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 15 Jan 2014

Anything in

tools - options - applications?

alanrwood 16:21 15 Jan 2014

I did manage to get it to open in Maxthon Browser but that was because it uses a slightly modified IE engine.

johnnyrocker 18:28 15 Jan 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\unfortunately nothing under your suggestion

johnny

johnnyrocker 18:32 15 Jan 2014

just for clarification this is not referring to windows updates which work normally via firefox

johnny

lotvic 18:46 15 Jan 2014

So what programs is it referring to?

johnnyrocker 20:04 15 Jan 2014

any on board programmes like lobit etc and spyware

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?