Programme to play a windows 95/98 cd rom?

webber_man 11:17 31 Jul 2007

I have a PC cd-rom that i have been informed will only work with Windows 95 or Windows 98. As i have XP installed is there a programme or emulator i can install to get the cd-rom to work?

Any suggestions/tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Belatucadrus 11:26 31 Jul 2007

Depends what's on it, you could try the built in XP Program compatibility Wizard, but I'm not convinced it's that effective.

Batch 11:27 31 Jul 2007

Do you mean a CD or a CD drive?

Assuming the former, is it the CD or software (or something else) that's on the CD that is the issue?

Batch 11:28 31 Jul 2007

BTW I have some Win 3.1 software installed under XP and it runs fine - you could try it and se.

webber_man 12:08 31 Jul 2007

Sorry - i mean i have a cd-rom disk.

It says on it that it's compatible with Windows 3.1 but i've been informed that it wilkl work with up to Windows 98.

I do have a Win 98 disk, but i don't want to start installing a second OS on my PC so would prefer to install a stand alone piece of software that would allow me to use the cd-rom.

Thanks.

Batch 13:44 31 Jul 2007

As I said - try it. Some works without fiddling. Some works if you change the compatibility settings once its installed (right click the program / shortcut and select properties and click the Compatibility tab - you can do this on existing programs installed to see what sort of thing is available). Some doesn't work, full stop.

stylehurst 14:00 31 Jul 2007

Irrespective of what is said on the CD why not stick it in your machine to see what happens. I have done just that with software designed for W95 & found it works perfectly well on both W2k & XP without using the compatibility wizard.

webber_man 17:15 31 Jul 2007

Hi - the disk doesn't work, i just get an error message saying "SHADOW caused a General Protection Fault in module ~ TMP0401.exe at 0002:0202" SHADOW will close.

I have also given the compatibility setting a go and that hasn't solved the problem either.

I just thought there'd be some software or programme out there that you can install and play things like this cd-rom through?

brundle 17:43 31 Jul 2007

try this; click here

webber_man 18:07 31 Jul 2007

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone