Programme failures

Steve-200657 23:16 27 Feb 2007

Several programmes have stopped working on my computer. I cannot access windows update anymore, the antivirus and antispyware componants of zonealarm security suite no longer scan/ update, the print wizard in windows picture viewer has stopped working - it won't preview selected photos for option of borderless etc and thus will not print, I cannot search for files or folders as I get the message 'a file that is required to run search companion cannot be found' and system restore has packed up. I have done a sfc /scannow command which has appeared to fix system restore but this fails to make anything else work. I have installed AVG free and a virus scan found nothing.
Can a virus stop your computer updating? How can I get the other things to work again? Can anyone help?

birdface 23:20 27 Feb 2007

Try last good configuration in safe mode,See if that helps.

terryf 23:20 27 Feb 2007

sounds to me that you need to repair your operating system click here DO NOT press <R> to choose the option 'To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R'
This should repair without losing data but backup if you can (perhaps in safe mode by pressing F8 when booting)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?