program to show how much data is stored in folders

gillersuk 18:31 26 Sep 2004

does anyone know of a free (or cheap) program which shows on one page (or easily) how much memory is in each folder on a hard-drive. I have lots of folders and lots of data and want to know which folders have the most data so i can start to delete unneccesary files.

I have used 2 x Explorer for file management for many years now, and one of its Tools features is to provide Folder Data.

It's free from click here

the lone ranger 18:40 26 Sep 2004

Speaking only of XP here.......just place your pointer over the file for a second or two and hey presto.
Can`t say for other OS

Andy

brambles 18:41 26 Sep 2004

I have so many photographs that periodically I transfer them to CD's and delete the files on my computer.

If you open a folder in Windows Explorer - then click edit - select all - it will show the total number of files & space they are utilising in the toolbar at the bottom.

If you open a folder - then click on view - details - then click on size column it will arrange all the files according to the space they are occupying.

It may list smallest first - in which case click the size column again - and they will list with largest file first.

Brambles

gillersuk 18:45 26 Sep 2004

I know how to find out how much data is in each folder, but I want a program that will compare all folders with subfolders on one screen so I can see at a glance where all my data is. I could build up a list by going to folder properties for all my folders but that would take a long long time.

That's what 2xExplorer will do for you.

In a new window, it will show all the folders on your drive/partition in decending order of size, along with the number of sub-folders and files contained in each.

beeuuem 18:52 26 Sep 2004

Try Treesize free from click here

Simon_P 18:53 26 Sep 2004

click here Free

click here Free

click here $9.99 download

gillersuk 19:06 26 Sep 2004

thanks all, ive tried each one and diskplus seems the best, so thanks simon7063. thanks to everyone else as well, always nice to have a choice. thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?