a program to scan directory +list identical files?

theDarkness 23:35 04 Oct 2009

Does anyone know of a program that will scan a directory on my hard drive and all its contents (ideally both sub folders and compressed files within), and then list files which are identical?

I am into graphic design and so have alot (hundreds) of old files/graphic images on old/scratched dvds, and on hd. I have copied the lot onto my pc. Now I just need a program that will do the hard work for me, and either delete all identical files (so that only one of each remains) - or list all identical files, so that I can highlight and then delete the ones I dont need? Im guessing if I wanted a program that could match identical files if they were not named the same, the program would have to have both files zipped up/compressed, as then it could try and match the CRC values for both?

A program that can only list similar or identically named files would be the second best thing, as I imagine no program would probably be able to match identical files, if one was zipped and one wasnt, and had a different name? Anything at all would be great, I really dont want to have to do it all manually! I also have alot of audio samples for music creation on my hd, where disc space is far more important when trying to create a samples disc, so am looking at using the same program for that also, if one existed! :) thanks for any help if possible

Technotiger 07:24 05 Oct 2009

I have not used this, but ...

click here

theDarkness 23:43 07 Oct 2009

Cheers. i think with alot of similar software if identical files are compared-and one is compressed and the other isnt~then they are not found as being identical. perhaps i should also search for a program that can compress files found in a set folder as a first step,but im guessing finding a prog that can do that and ignore all other files that are not compressed (as a first step before comparison) would be harder to find. I will try the one you mention first to see if it can also compare zip contents. Thanks :)

Yuranok 21:50 30 Nov 2009

I am not sure about compressed files but program that I use have some features to work with graphic files (thumbnails and preview bars) and music files (mp3 bar). Check here click here
I hope it helps)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017