program installs and disk space question.

patso 17:00 22 Nov 2008

when i got my pc it had only 40 gig hard drive space,there is 5.229 gig of programme files install on the c programme files folder,can i copy this folder to an external 230 gig hard drive and delete it to free up space on my main operating c drive or do i have to reinstall the rpogrammes manually to the external drive which is my g drive,this is connected thru usb,what is the best way can anyone tell me thanks

Belatucadrus 17:24 22 Nov 2008

Most program files can't simply be shifted as the installation procedure put entries in the registry that tells the PC where to find it. Shift the program folder and it just isn't going to work.
If you've got the relevant installation disks or .exe files then you can uninstall from C & reinstall to G as most installation routines will give you the option of selecting where to install the program.
At this stage I'd be tempted to leave the C drive programs alone and shift all saved documents, pictures and music to G.

woodchip 17:29 22 Nov 2008

You need to reinstall Programs, You best way would be fit a new Internal drive, Do a Custom install To the New drive. Create a Folder on new drive first called Program Files. load to that. Before you reinstall Programs make sure to remove programs from Add Remove Programs in Control Panel

patso 17:41 22 Nov 2008

thanks Belatucadrus And woodchip that explains it for me,i was just moving docs and pics and thinking i might have to reinstall to another drive so now i know this is what i have to do,thanks again cheers Patso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone