Program information needed before download please.

Conny 23:25 16 Apr 2008

I have been advised to download a program called 'Utorrent' or 'Bit Torrent' before downloading free music files from anothet site. Can anyone tell me anything about these programs, especially if they are safe to use.
I have AVG 7.5, AVG Spyware Blaster Spyware Terminator, CCleaner and Ad-Aware. O/S is XP Home edition with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I also have a router for my daughters wireless laptop which I believe has a built in Firewall. The router is a Netgear 614.
Hope this info helps and thank you.

johnnyrocker 23:34 16 Apr 2008

you are asking about something that is not legal and therefore might not get much response?

johnny

Technotiger 00:04 17 Apr 2008

Not safe to use at all - can cause all sorts of problems, I would advise you NOT to use these programs.

GaT7 00:13 17 Apr 2008

It's perfectly safe to use if done with some commonsense & one downloads good/legal stuff.

But these type of programs are often used by many to download a lot of dodgy (potentially virus/trojan-ridden) & even illegal material. If the 'free music files' are copyrighted then it's illegal.

I've used µTorrent to download large Linux distros. G

Rob_08 00:14 17 Apr 2008

Utorrents great, but keep a good AV and Antispy running at all times.

Conny 00:20 17 Apr 2008

Thanks for your replies.
Think it best if I find a legitimate site and pay as I didn't realise I might be breaking the law.
Once again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?