PROGRAM COPYING

Bonzy 13:33 02 Apr 2006

Hi folks. I use Win 98 SE as an OS in my pc. I want to copy the entire content of the Win98SE cd onto the hardrive for a good reason. I never know when I'll need it. Please note: I want to copy the program, NOT install it.
How do I go about it? Thanx in advance.

SG Atlantis® 13:39 02 Apr 2006

do you have nero?

PS- the disk is copyrighted, you're not meant to copy it. But anyway.

In Nero choose copy cd and burn it to image recorder. It'll save it as win98se.nrg on the hard disk and then you can burn that back to disk when you want it.

SG Atlantis® 13:40 02 Apr 2006

Correction you save it as win98se.nrg

€dstowe 13:41 02 Apr 2006

You need an imaging program such as Acronis click here

€dstowe 13:42 02 Apr 2006

Sorry, misread -Acronis will image your hard drive, not copy the disk which, as has been pointed out is copyrighted

bremner 13:55 02 Apr 2006

Put the Windows disk in the drive and open Windows Explorer.

Expand the CD drive and drag the contents into a folder on the hard drive.

SG Atlantis® 13:59 02 Apr 2006

bremner

but that way when he copies it back to disk it won't be bootable.

pj123 16:26 02 Apr 2006

SG Atlantis®, Windows 98se isn't bootable anyway.

I have done the same thing (a long time ago) as bremner suggests.

The idea is that if you run an application or something like sfc and it asks for the Windows 98SE CD you just point it to the folder on the hard disk instead of scrabbling about trying to find the original CD.

I copied my Win 98SE CD to a folder called (would you believe) Win98. It works perfectly so I don't have to keep inserting the CD.

Totally-braindead 16:33 02 Apr 2006

A friend of mine whos still on 98 did it that way as well, put the entire disk into a small partition he had created, when anything goes wrong with windows he just tells it where to look to reinstall, as pj123 says it saves putting the disk in.

DieSse 16:43 02 Apr 2006

As pj123 intimated - it's dead easy. Just make a folder, then copy the contents of the CD into the folder just as any other CD. Nothing special is required, if you want it there for reasons of convenience.

bremner 16:50 02 Apr 2006

Windows 98SE is bootable, but Bonzy never suggested they wanted to later create a bootable disk hence why I made my suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?