Program to big to fit in memory ???

Chegs ® 15:18 08 Jul 2004

OS = XP Home

Athlon 2,200Mhz CPU/1.5Gb DDR RAM/240Gb SATA hdd's RAID.

Just got lent a prog to try,it is a 329Mb MS-DOS file,and each time I try to run it I get the "To big to fit in memory" error.Why would a 339MB file not "find" 1.5Gb RAM insufficient? Can I get this file to exe correctly?

SANTOS7 15:30 08 Jul 2004

click here this may help,good luck

norman47 15:32 08 Jul 2004

Gosh this is taxing the memory, no pun.

I think it has something to do with himem sys, the values may have to be changed. I seem to remember changing a 386 file, but this was for windows 95 and years ago. I don't know if it will be applicable to x\p.

Have a scroll through these, some are microsoft and sometimes the links don't work to well.
click here=

Cook2 15:41 08 Jul 2004

Chegs ®. XP, DOS ??? I understood they are like chalk and cheese. None of my old DOS programs will work since I've had XP.

ShanghaiDave 15:47 08 Jul 2004

Is it by any chance something you downloaded off a p2p network I downloaded something recently and got the exact same thing. I figured the file was just a fake.

Sethhaniel 15:50 08 Jul 2004

running old apps in XP - right click the short cut
select properties - advanced - select run in own memory (may even work for 'Chegs (r)')
Select memory run as windows '95
then maybe they'll work

Cook2 15:55 08 Jul 2004

Sethhaniel. Yes a few did run using compatible mode but others just wouldn't. I'm sure I read in one of the threads, ages ago, that programs written in DOS just wouldn't work with XP.

Chegs ® 16:01 08 Jul 2004

Its the second large file he has asked me to try,and the second time its produced a DOS file when copied from the CD to my XP puter(he runs 98se)but the 1st time I have encountered a "To big for memory" error.I thought it might be due to my NTFS system originally,but that looks unlikely now.Never mind,I will just have to tell him to "suck it and see" for himself. ;-)

norman47 22:56 08 Jul 2004

probably for the best. :-)

I was talking to dos friend over a drink and He thinks that dos will only take a maximum of 64Mb.

I think I have this right.

Win98 can run dos within a window so it can use windows bank switching. This can bank switch memory to multiple 64Mb sections of memory to accommodate the size of the programme, if the physical memory is available.

This feature, he thinks is unavailable in x\p.

Mind you this is after about 4 pints. :-)))

Chegs ® 00:47 09 Jul 2004

So,in DOS...

98se can run larger progs than XP(bank switching)

Yet...

XP is able to use more memory(98se goes mental with more memory)

No wonder reliable software is hard to create. ;-)

Chegs ® 10:52 09 Jul 2004

I got it to work by changing the extension from .exe to .iso.Used IsoBuster to extract the "raw data" and it installed ok(muttered something about crc errors)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?