prog to scan and then print not ocr

howard64 19:43 16 Feb 2007

A friend has a tiny pc with usb flatbed scanner. When it was on win98 the scanner prog had a button to scan then print. Having updated him to xp pro [oh I wish I hadn't] although the scanner works fine I cannot find the scan to print option. The prog installed is textbridge 2.0. Does anyone know of a free prog that has this function? All sugestions appreciated.

Technotiger 19:46 16 Feb 2007

Hi, most half-decent paint or photo editing programs have a function to scan/acquire from within the programs. Easy then to print.

Technotiger 19:47 16 Feb 2007

PS - Paint in XP has the function to acquire from scanner.

Diodorus Siculus 19:48 16 Feb 2007

Irfanview will do that - install it and then choose aquire - when the image appears, tell it to print.

Totally-braindead 19:49 16 Feb 2007

Agree with Technotiger even Googles free program Picassa 2 will allow you to acquire something from a scanner. Providing then scanner is installed properly of course.

Diemmess 19:51 16 Feb 2007

Yes, with Technotiger, go for any program which will accept an image (a picture) from a scanner. Doesn't famous XP Pro have one?

Textbridge of that age forget. It was intended as an OCR device and most probably won't even look like working on the new system.

howard64 20:32 16 Feb 2007

thank you all I will try the options out and by the way textbridge works perfectly.

Simsy 22:50 16 Feb 2007

of scanner is it?

I have a Canon, and there is some included software, called "Scangear Toolbox" that I think does what you seek...

You can make the toolbox, (which is a standalone toolbar with several buttons), appear ina number of ways... one of them is pushing a button on the scanner.

The buttons each have a function, eg, Copy, FAX, emai, Save, and the parameters for each one, (colour, resolution etc) can be preset for each button.

If this sounds familiar, perhaps it was Scangear installed on 98 before. If so, a version does exist for XP. I assume it only works with Canon scanners?

Having said that... it may well be that a better option is to get the document open in an imaging program and tidy it up first, before printing... In which case the previous suggestions are probably better!!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?