Prog to arrange address's in alphabeti order.

Ambasedor 15:18 07 Dec 2009

I have a lot of addresses i download randomly but need to put in order. I use XP so just need a simple prog to rearrange them in alphabetic order.

Technotiger 15:20 07 Dec 2009

Hmm, normally one can just right-click on any address in a list, and then click on Sort by...

Technotiger 15:21 07 Dec 2009

Or in XP's address book, click on View and then choose the order you require.

Ambasedor 16:48 07 Dec 2009

Hi Technotiger thanks for that but they are pasted in a word doc and that option doesnt appear or work. Dont want them in my address book just as a separate list of addresses in a doc that I can refer to and add to.

DieSse 17:01 07 Dec 2009

Putting them into a spreadsheet is much better - then you can sort away to your hearts content.

GaT7 17:09 07 Dec 2009

"I have a lot of addresses i download randomly" - what kind of addresses are they, & why would you want to download them randomly?

If you mean Internet addresses / URLs isn't your browser's Favourites/Bookmarks folder present for this very purpose? And one can easily sort them by right-clicking the list & choosing 'Sort by Name' or similar. G

Woolwell 17:20 07 Dec 2009

Much better in a spreadsheet but Word can sort click here

Ambasedor 18:52 07 Dec 2009

Hi Guys,

They are names addresses and tel nos of companies that i contact that have been extracted from BT phone book. Having tried the microsoft sort it splits all the phone nos addresses and names and puts them in different lists so i will have to resort to a spread sheet and as there over 500 I will have to put in separately instead of all at once. Thanks for your help.

GaT7 18:54 07 Dec 2009

Ah right, thanks for clarifying that. G

bremner 19:01 07 Dec 2009

In Word use the text to table feature to put the addresses into a table.

Once in a table you can use Word to sort them or copy the table to Excel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017