Product Key Failed Validation

Spr 10:42 07 Jan 2006

I went to update my PC using the following site it tells me my version of Window XP has failed to update it says Product Key Failed Validation.

I cannot see how as it is the only copy of Windows I have and been using it for the past couple of years it came with the machine.

I have Automatic Updates open my Machine regularly so why should this happen now.

Where can I find the Product Key in the Registry to check it is the same as what is on the Disc
click here

VoG II 10:45 07 Jan 2006
  Spr 12:23 07 Jan 2006

Using Jellybean I find both codes are the same, but update still say not valid.

The odd thing about it is I have an old PC that the grandchildren play on, it has the same copy of Windows XP it updated not problem.

Biotech 12:29 07 Jan 2006

Maybe it is because you have already updated on another machine that you are barred from updating using the same copy of windows on said machine. Purely speculation on my part but ....

DieSse 13:54 07 Jan 2006

*it has the same copy of Windows XP*

Well, that's not allowed under the terms of the licence. That's one of the reasons they've started checking. If your other PC has updated, that's the one that MS think is the real one - and they won't allow an update to two different systems with the same Product key.

So you need a second copy of WinXP (or if you feel adventurous, you can get a free download of several different Linux versions - IMHO Xandros would be best for you).

PaulB2005 14:24 07 Jan 2006

The problem is definitely that you have installed XP on two PCs when it's only licensed for the first one. The license is not transferable unless it's a retail license and you'll have to remove it from the old PC first.

You can't install one copy of XP on two PCs.

Terry Brown 15:10 07 Jan 2006

You could try contacting Microsoft, to see if they wil allow you to purchase an additional licence, or if your grandchildren are of school age, you should be able to purchase a 'Student 'copy of XP for them at a greatly reduced price.

Spr 15:15 07 Jan 2006

I ran my own PC first when that said Failed Validation.
I then ran my grandchildrens which worked theirs is only for playing games etc it was not connected to the Internet till now

pharte 16:18 07 Jan 2006

click start > run and type "oobe/msoobe /a" into the box (without the quotation marks).
this will bring up the activation wizard and type your cd key in again. If it fails to activate it will give you a phone mumber to ring microsoft activation team. as long as your personal details match the original info when the disc was first activated there will not be a problem. I have had to reactivate this way countless times due to having to do a reformat almost on a weekly basis.

wee eddie 16:59 07 Jan 2006

I think that you may not have understood the Validation process.

When you installed XP on the Kids PC, you would have got a box saying that XP was only valid for a limited period of time, and that it would shut down unless Validated.

Once you Validated that PC, it became, in Microsoft's eyes, the sole user of XP. The previous validation of your own PC became Null & Void, as they will assume that you have transferred the Software to the Kids PC.

Spr 18:30 07 Jan 2006

pharte
followed your instruction it tells me windows is already active

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?