Producing a software DVD

sean-278262 15:13 08 May 2008

Hi everyone. I have been compiling a folder of software for about 4 years now. Basically when I need a program I save it to a folder in sections dedicated to various areas of computing. Basically I am like click here as I find it comes in handy when I go to friends and family to fix their computers that it saves time and also makes life a bit easier.

I would like to make the DVD more professional with a point and click interface (similar to the PCA DVDs) to make it easy to leave a copy with people that then they can browse and install software I know to be safe to use instead of the windows explorer way where people tend to get confused when they are computer novices.

Of course I want it to be as simple as possible as I add new programs as I come across them so want it to be easy to add new items to the disks and with 8.7Gb of software collected so far the easier it is to manage the happier I will be.

Cheers for any suggestions and taking the time to read this. I hope everyone else is having as good a day as I am, as it is wonderful outside today.

A

Stuartli 16:03 08 May 2008

Can't help with the interface, but wonder if software up to four years old is likely to be of any value?

In the examples you provide, the majority are either updated or a new version released on a regular basis.

sean-278262 16:28 08 May 2008

In some cases I end up fixing windows 98 machines (I probably should be breaking them to remove it from the world). In general I have found that I keep as with AVG the latest V8 the last one of the old version and the initial V7 release so have V7 ,7.5 and 8 in AVG's case. Sometimes issues arise and an old version solves it till an updated one comes out.

In the case of things like Zone Alarm I have had to keep old versions to make it work with some computers that it didnt get on with when the latest was installed. There is something to be said for old versions of programs. Most of the time they get deleted when they are too old to be of use. However in the world of the terabyte hard disk a few gigs of extra fat isnt too much of an issue for me.

A

€dstowe 16:39 08 May 2008

I wouldn't even trust my shopping list on a rewritable DVD (or CD) and you would need that type to be able to add things to it easily.

Similarly, I wouldn't entrust anything of importance to a home-burned DVD. These are produced in a different way to commercial disks and are much less reliable.

Belatucadrus 16:39 08 May 2008

click here Quick menu builder.

click here Autorun Action Splash.

I use a copy of Autorun I got off a coverdisk, but it can be bought click here if you don't get on with the freebies above.

sean-278262 17:57 08 May 2008

Belatucadrus - cheers for that. Do you happen to know what PCA magazine it was on (if it was PCA). Otherwise it may take some time to track through all the issues of PCA. I have copies dating back to 2001 and keep them all so if it was on PCA it shouldn't be too hard to find the right disk.

Exactly what I wanted though. Cheers to the both of you for the responces. I will click this as resolved as QMB appears to do everything I want, however it would be nice to know if I have a copy of this AAS program hanging around to compare the 2.

Stuartli 18:15 08 May 2008

Not true...:-)

I use CD and DVD-R in multisession mode - I can add as much as I wish until a disk is full.

They are also far more reliable and much easier for a drive to read than RW media due to higher reflectivity levels.

Astec123

You are quite right about older operating systems, even though its now seven years since XP took on the world...:-)

Out of interest, are you aware of the Unofficial Windows98SE Service Pack? It's a labour of love by the author and will save a lot of time.

It saves a lot of time...:-) See:

click here

€dstowe 18:38 08 May 2008

You didn't quote the whole of my statement.

Thus "and you would need that type to be able to add things to it easily."

You missed off the last three all important words.

Stuartli 19:03 08 May 2008

The last few words were cut off as there was insufficient room.

However, you started off by stating: "..I wouldn't even trust my shopping list on a rewritable DVD (or CD).."

A CD or DVD-R is not a rewritable disk i.e. -RW; it can however, as you are almost certainly aware, use -R in multisession form.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?