processors

novice3 09:39 05 Jul 2006

Which is the best processor etc to look for in a laptop? My main requirement is that it (the laptop) is as quiet as possible.

Give us a little more info on what your main uses will be. For example gameing, surfing or work related i.e Word and Excel etc.

novice3 09:53 05 Jul 2006

General personal use - mostly surfing, digital camera, sometimes Word, etc

Ok next we need to know the make, mdel etc of your motherboard. Also how much you are willing to spend!

novice3 10:03 05 Jul 2006

"make, mdel etc of your motherboard"

?? Basically, I need a laptop that's quiet. I thought that some processors were much quieter than others? Certainly some laptops are much quieter than others!

I would hope that there is a quiet laptop about for around £800?

Belatucadrus 10:56 05 Jul 2006

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1200 and it's effectively silent, the fan kicks in occasionally as the heat builds up, but it's infrequent and whisper quiet.
If quietness is a primary requirement, I'd suggest looking at the lower spec laptops, they aren't as powerful, but as a result generate less heat and I doubt there's a laptop on the market that can't do what you've listed.

biteblue 13:56 05 Jul 2006

It is not the processor that makes the noise it is the cooling for the processor and other components within the machine. An Intel Centrino or Celeron with a low clock speed will need less cooling so may be quieter.

PaulOwen 13:57 05 Jul 2006

We need to know the make and model of the mobo to recommend a compatible CPU.

Belatucadrus 14:05 05 Jul 2006

We'd only need to know the MOBO details if novice3 was looking to upgrade an existing Laptop, but that's not the way I read this thread. I think they're looking for specification gudance on a new machine.
I wouldn't recommend playing around with Laptop chips anyway, difficult to get at and marginal performance increase makes it IMHO a futile exercise.

novice3 16:54 06 Jul 2006

"..looking for specification gudance on a new machine."

Yes, you're absolutely right Belatucadrus. Sorry for the confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?