Processors

jg1990 16:12 28 Mar 2004

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my Dad's PC but want some advice to the level of skill required.

I will be replacing the case, processor, and memory.

Could someone please tell me how hard this will be.

Many Thanks

James
PS. The processor will be an Athlon XP 2400.

woodchip 16:13 28 Mar 2004

You first need to know if the Motherboard will take the new CPU

jg1990 16:16 28 Mar 2004

I have checked the motherboard and it has an FSB of 266 so it should be compatible.

Will it be hard to install the motherboard and processor?

Regards

James

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:18 28 Mar 2004

I just did mine took about 30 mins altogehter wasnt that hard can be daunting the first time you do it but just remember what goes where and u should be fine.

Regards.

Totally-braindead 16:19 28 Mar 2004

No jg1990 what woodchip means is will the MOTHERBOARD take the processor. You need to check what processors the motherboard will take. Post the make and model of you motherboard.

Spindrift 16:21 28 Mar 2004

If it does then fit the new CPU, heatsink - with new thermal paste and RAM before fitting the motherboard into the case. Then add all the rest. A good opportunity to have a clean up if needed.

woodchip 16:21 28 Mar 2004

It should say in the Motherboard manual what the CPU you can fit in the motherboard

jg1990 16:22 28 Mar 2004

The motherboard will be the MSI KM2M Combo-L, click here.

Do I need any other tools to install the processor?

Thanks

James

Totally-braindead 16:33 28 Mar 2004

No tools just a flat bladed screwdriver, this is for connecting the clamp that holds the heatsink and fan to the CPU, hope that makes sense.

jg1990 16:40 28 Mar 2004

Thanks very much guys!

I thought that some special paste was needed for something?

Thanks very much

James

Totally-braindead 16:45 28 Mar 2004

The paste you are talking about should be already on the heatsink/fan that you put on the processor, assuming its new, make sure its there cos if it isn't then you'll need to buy some thermal paste to put on it. Without thermal paste there isn't enough contact between the processor and the heatsink. Result the CPU overheats and either the st=ystem shuts down- if you are lucky or the CPU blows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?