Processor/Ram

tonyq 17:24 18 Feb 2007

Hi,please can someone tell me which is the better of the following Processor/Ram/Graphic Card, set up. I will be using it in a laptop mainly with Photoshop CS2
1.as the faster Processor speed, Less Ram
2.as the slower Processor speed double the amount of Ram

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed T7200 2.00GHz
1024MB DDR II RAM
ATI RadeonĀ® X1600
Windows XP Professional

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed T5500 1.66GHz
RAM 2GB
NVIDIA GeForce 7300
Windows Vista Home Premium

Belatucadrus 17:56 18 Feb 2007

Either will handle CS2 without any problems, but of the two I'd probably go for option 2 as the system requirements click here show it has fairly high RAM use.
Not forgetting that CS isn't the only thing that'll need its chunk of RAM, Windows, particularly Vista and security software will take quite a bit too.

Gongoozler 17:57 18 Feb 2007

In my opinion the extra RAM will be the preferred option. I tend to follow the rule-of-thumb that to notice any real difference processor speed needs to increase by 50%, and the jump from 1.66G to 2G is on the edge of that ratio, whereas the extra RAM could make a real difference with a graphics intensive application. I can't comment on the graphics card except I doubt that you will notice the difference other than for gaming.

Totally-braindead 18:03 18 Feb 2007

I play quite a few games and because of that the system with the 7300 is out, no use for games, the X1600 is quite reasonable and therefore my coice would be 1.
I have no idea which is best for Photoshop CS though.

Diodorus Siculus 18:07 18 Feb 2007

I'd go for the one one with the faster processor and see how you get on with 1GB ram; you can always upgrade the ram later.

Obviously this is more expensive but if you could find the extra pounds in the future, it might be a good idea.

Having said all that, either will be fine for photoshop.

interzone55 18:17 18 Feb 2007

Photoshop is quite memory intensive, so is Vista, so I would go for option 2. Also as Photoshop is a 2D application, the graphics card is not really important.

sean-278262 18:18 18 Feb 2007

Personally I would take the first option and if CS2 does not appear to run as well as it should you can opt to add some more ram, upgrading a processor can be fiddly and is much more expensive and more prone to problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?