processor upgrade (HELP)

bradnick 12:52 14 Feb 2006

Hi there i,m trying to upgrade my processor, I am currently running an amd 1.4ghz on a socket a (462) motherboard with 512mb pc133 memory, I,m trying to swap the cpu for an Amd athlon 2600, when i power on the system nothing not even the fan spins,Please help

rmcqua 12:57 14 Feb 2006

You may be exceeding the processor capability of your m/board. What make/model is the m/board?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 14 Feb 2006

Silly things first

1. power lead plugged in at wall and rear of PC

2. socket switched on, PC switched on at rear near power lead

3. fuse and wires ok in plug

Now the bigger problems.

cable connections to motherboard (20 pin connector)

Is your board capable of taking the higher speed CPU? what mke model no of board?

As the only thing you have disturbed is the CPU remove and check for damaged pins, try the old cpu again.

PSU may have died (coincidence)

bradnick 13:04 14 Feb 2006

Hi there there is absolutly no markings or serial number anywhere on the board, would the type of power supply effect it,if so what would i need and also what type of motherboard should i b using, any help would be appreciated thanx

bradnick 13:07 14 Feb 2006

hi there old processor works fine, this is the second processor i,ve tried both the same,with the same results

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 14 Feb 2006

put the oldprocessor back in

run windows and bownload one of these Belarc click here
SIW click here
SiSandra click here

will tell you all the equipment you have fitted.

As you boot up on the first screen take a note of the BIOS maker and version (may not support thr bigger CPU) and BIOS upgrade flash may solve your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?