Processor Upgrade Disaster???????????

Paraaanoid Android 15:29 18 May 2007

I have a second Pc used by the kids which consists of an AMD DURON 800MHZ fitted on an ASROCK K7VM2 Motherboard with a VIA VT 8235 chipset and runs with 320 Mb sd100 RAM and employs Windows ME as the OS.

Wanting to beef their PC up a bit, I bought an AMD ATHLON 2.2Ghz off an E-bay auction along with the relevant heat sink and cooling fan.

I proceeded to carefully take the old processor out of the motherboard which was still in the case and carefully fitted the Athlon ensuring that I had done it correctly.

When I booted up the P.C to my horror it wont work! It gets so far on the boot up and stalls at the hard drive (red light stays on) If I try to do a boot up with no devices connected to IDE 1 and 2 and no floppy drive connected, then the Pc will still not boot up. If I fit the original Duron it still wont work!

Any suggestions please as to what is wrong as I have an awful feeling that the motherboard has been damaged as I was trying to fit the Athlon heatsink/fan assembly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 18 May 2007

HAve you set the BIOS to accept the new CPU?

Will you motherboard support the new CPU?

Technotiger 17:07 18 May 2007

Hmm, assume you did use new CPU Paste?

Technotiger 17:12 18 May 2007
  Paraaanoid Android 14:40 19 May 2007

Thanks fruit bat and technotiger for your replies. I have used the thermal paste but I think I have used too much having read the article following the link that technotiger posted. I shall scrape the grease off and try to re-fit it as described on the website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?