Processor Upgrade

powell 16:25 01 Feb 2003

The motherboard i'm using is a Soltek SL-75KV+. Having researched the Soltek website faq's, they inform me i can use up to a Duron 1300mhz or an Athlon 1400mhz processor in this board-as the board only supports the 200mhz fsb, i cannot install a faster processor.

So i bought the processor and fan kit at PCWorld component centre - install went smoothly, but pc will not boot up at all with new chip installed. Works fine when i put old on back in.

Is it a dodgy chip, or is my motherboard not capable of using this chip? Help please !!!!!

ellas 16:33 01 Feb 2003

have you checked if you need a bios upgrade before you upgrade the processor.

clayton 18:02 01 Feb 2003

What processor did you buy & is it 200FSB

BrianW 19:20 01 Feb 2003

I think you will need to update your BIOS. I am having the same problem going from a Duron 750 to 1300 on a QDI board. In my case they said that a BIOS update was essential (the 1300 is a very different configuration from the older Duron versions). Even having put in the new BIOS I still cannot get the cpu to run for more than a few moments. Like you, going back to the old cpu restores stability. AMD will simply tell you that you need a larger powers supply, but I went up to a 550w unit (from 300) and it didn't make a bit of difference. So chase up Soltek for the new BIOS

Joe McG 19:23 01 Feb 2003

powell,

sorry if i,m stating the obvious, but you did boot straight into bios and change fsb and multiplier.!

powell 12:08 02 Feb 2003

Bought the duron 1300 with the 200mhz fsb.

Have been into the bios, and it looks like it should auto-detect processor speed - i assume fsb is fixed.

To what values should i change the fsb and multiplier if they are not auto-detected?

Haven't tried updating bios yet - will try this first and get back.

Thanks.

Joe McG 12:15 02 Feb 2003

powell, settings should be 13 x 100fsb,

Joe McG 12:20 02 Feb 2003

powell, just had a look at mobo review. If you have pc133 sdram, you may also be able to set it at 10 x 133.

powell 20:40 02 Feb 2003

You probably think i'm really thick here - i found in the bios where i can set the fsb - defaulted already at 100mhz.

Where do i set the multiplier - can't find it anywhere.

Looking at the board manual, i found bus ratio select settings which are set using jumpers. But these range from 5.0x to 12.5x ?

Am i getting close ?

powell 22:27 03 Feb 2003

In the end, didn't fancy the bios upgrade route, but changed multiplier to 12.5x(highest that the manual said i could go) - bingo, pc booted up nicely, but displayed clock speed as 20mhz !!!!!!

Went to WINREP to check clock speed = 1299mhz. So i assume a bios upgrade will display the correct speed. This i'm not fussed about as long as processor runs at approx 1300mhz.

Finally, pc runs with much more of a punch behind it now - well worth it.

Thanks all,

Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?