processor upgrade

mikel1878 20:22 05 Jul 2004

this will be simple for you guys but if I was to change my processor for a faster one, is it as simple as unplug one and plug in another, or do I need to do anything else?

Mister Splendid©® 20:31 05 Jul 2004

Before you do anything else. Do some research to make sure you know exactly what you can fit in your motnerboard.

Dorsai 20:43 05 Jul 2004

Tell us what Motherboard you have now, and someone will tell you the fastest processor you can use.

It's not 'as simple as unplug one and plug in another' as the new one may not work in your board. think, when the board was made they could only make it to use processors avaliable at the time they made it. They could not make it to use proessors made the next year, as the processors had not been made yet, so they could not know how to make the board use them (cos they had not been made yet).

goonerbill 20:53 05 Jul 2004

what the others are saying is that you will need to go to the website of the makers of your motherboard and find out what the max. CPU you can install with or without a bios upgrade.

if you dont know the make of motherboard, down load this prog to find out click here

mikel1878 19:52 06 Jul 2004

Computer was made by MESH

Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-7ZX(-B)

CPU Type: AMD Athlon-PECM, 1100 MHz (11 x 100)
CPU Alias Thunderbird

BIOS: American Megatrends AMI

RAM : 512MB

Means nothing to me but the programme made the point that the BIOS is over 2 years old.

Any advice?
Thanks

goonerbill 20:21 06 Jul 2004

there are 3 versions of your motherboard 7zx, 7zx rev 1.x and 7zx rev 5.1.

depending on what version you have stipulates the max CPU you can install. heres link to table that shows which CPU can be installed on each mobo.

click here(Rev%205.0).htm

the only bios update that can be found on gigabytes website is for rev 5.1 version, heres link click here and it can take athlon2000+ and its over 2 years old, so your bios is the latest and sounds as if you have rev 5.1 version of the ga-7zx but its best to open your case and look on the mobo for its name and under neath should be what version it is.

if you wish to update the bios without checking and you have dual bios on the mobo, you can flash it and if anything goes wrong the secondary bios will boot the pc.

mikel1878 08:54 08 Jul 2004

most of that is beyond me but at least I have some idea now - leave it to someone who knows what they are doing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?