processor overheating and computer turning off

User-C36C17DD-CB36-4359-8C1755C210746FBE 16:35 17 Jul 2009

I am running windows vista home.
my processor on start up is running at 100% this causes it to overheat and then my computer turns off. how do i stop this. i notice that when i turn my computer on i have 113 processes running. help

DieSse 16:39 17 Jul 2009

"my processor on start up is running at 100% this causes it to overheat"

It shouldn't do that - it means the cooling is insufficiently good.

Laptop or desktop - the exact actions are a little different. Also approx age of computer please.

laptop, acer aspire 7720g about 8 months old

accordion 16:45 17 Jul 2009

Have a look here: click here

Dave

accordion 16:50 17 Jul 2009

Or here: click here

Diemmess 17:04 17 Jul 2009

No wish to confuse....but
You assume that heat is causing shutdown? OK overheating does cause shutdown.

You imply that shutdown occurs very soon after booting.
I believe that your computer does need 100% during bootup, but almost immmediately and certainly by the time you can read the figures, the CPU use should fall off to almost nothing.

So it seems to me more likely to have a software problem, conflicts, or configuration errors.

gigagiggles 17:52 17 Jul 2009

hello.

the first thing that stands out is "113 processes" running at startup. my pc typically hover under 50 processes, but that may be unique to my situation. so one can imagine the cpu and hard drive playing with each other in a frenzy from the very start, in addition to the normal operating systems activities. look to trim that number down to manageable size and then download and install speedfan.exe. that utility will confirm for you the heat status of your pc components.

if there are software problems or conflicts, a recuction in the number of processes may remove the source of the problem or conflict.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?