processor installation

SHORTMARINE 13:17 15 Jun 2006

Hi all..hope this does not sound to daft..i have to fit a processor to new motherboard the processor is a AMD 3000 do i need to use thermal paste..?. as the heatsink has a intact.(new) thermal pad ..i have looked at the AMD site on installation and it did not mention thermal paste but other site,s and one of the instruction booklet say i must use some can anybody please give a answer..i am of the view it can,t hurt to use both but i do not want to degrade the pad by mistake..many thanks for your help..IAN

rodriguez 13:33 15 Jun 2006

You should still be able to use thermal paste, just smear a thin layer onto the CPU with a credit card. The paste dries hard anyway and gives a bit extra help in keeping the CPU cool. I even put thermal paste on a Celeron processor and it never goes above 50 degrees.

jimv7 14:07 15 Jun 2006

If you are fitting a new fan and the thermal pad is unused then you do not need to put paste on the cpu, its already on the fan base.

€dstowe 14:14 15 Jun 2006

DO NOT under any circumstances use paste and pad together. The idea of the thermal paste is to provide as close a contact between the heatsink and the CPU as possible. Smearing loads of gunge (to use a technical term) on it will only make this more difficult to achieve.

Definitely a case of "less is more".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone