Processor differences?

Simsy 10:14 15 Mar 2008

Folks,

fundamentally, what's the difference between;

Intel Core 2

and

Dual Core

I realise I haven't given much detail... but am I right in thinking that they both are proceesors that have 2 cores, i.e. they are both 2 processors on a single unit?

And as a follow up, if, for example, a spec indicates 1.7Gig for one of these, that what you effectively have is (more or less), two 1.7 Gig processors.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

MAT ALAN 10:20 15 Mar 2008

Dual core processor has 2 distinct processor cores inside one chip. AMD's X2 and Opterons (Denmark, Italy, Egypt, Sta Rosa and Sta Ana cores) Intel's Pentium D, Pentium EE, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo (Conroe, Allendale) and Xeon (Paxville, Tulsa, Conroe, Dempsey and Woodcrest cores) are ALL DUAL CORES.

Core2 Duo is specifically a new technology, high performance processor that does more per clock cycle and at lower wattage.
Cheapest version= Pentium E2140 and E2160.
Still cheap but better= E4300, E4400, E4500 (Allendale)
Fast Core2 Duo = E6xxx series
Awesome = Core2 Extreme X6800

Simsy 10:31 15 Mar 2008

It's a big help.

I guess, as it works at a lower wattage, that Intel "Core2 Duo" would be a better option than Intel "Dual Core", for a laptop? (everything else being equal).

I'm currently considering between these two...

click here

click here

The second of those has "only" 1 Gig of RAM, and I'd up that to 2 anyway. The difference in HDD size is irrelevant.

I'd welcome any comparison comments?

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?