processor compatability

andyg4 09:20 09 Sep 2011

hi I've a packard bell imedia J9035(or it could be imedia 2579 but not quite sure), Pt890-chipset,ms-7301 with a intel (R)core (TM)R CPU [email protected] I've been given a intel pentium E6700 LGA775 processor which I managed to fit but didn't work at all, power their but wouldn't even boot up. 1st question is, what processor is compatable with this board, ie a faster one and if their isn't one then I've vaguely heard about clocking, what is this and how do I do it?, basically I would like to speed my computer up for running certain games, have already upgraded to 4gb of ram which is the max and works good but not it still lags at times. I hope this makes sense and would be gratefull for any advise. cheers Andy

gengiscant 10:11 09 Sep 2011

Your motherboard is certainly a socket 775, but that does not mean any socket 775 CPU's will be compatible.

It would really be useful to know the correct model number of your PC, there should be a sticker on it somewhere with the info.

gengiscant 10:16 09 Sep 2011

Is this yours? J9035

andyg4 10:22 09 Sep 2011

J9035 is my computer

gengiscant 10:27 09 Sep 2011

Is that a yes then?

andyg4 10:31 09 Sep 2011

yes

gengiscant 10:39 09 Sep 2011

The chip you got off your friend should be OK but you might need to update the BIOS which with older motherboards is something not to be taken lightly as if you get it wrong then you will be left with a useless pile of junk. Modern boards thankfully are much easier to update the BIOS without problems.

I am assuming you put new thermal paste on the chip when you fitted the E6700 and made sure the heatsink/cooler was fitted and connected correctly?

andyg4 10:46 09 Sep 2011

I didn't put any thermal paste on the chip when installed however it was packaged with some on. heatsink/cooler was connected firmly and I believe correctly as the fan was working as I assume it should. if their is a way of updating the bios then surely their is a procedure for that, that has been done before which didn't ruin the machine?

gengiscant 11:19 09 Sep 2011

I think that you will have trouble updating the BIOS because although it is an MSI motherboard it was made for Packard Bell and I cannot find your PC on the Packard Bell website where you would need to get the updated BIOS if, of course there is one, which I do not think there is. I have had a look at other imedia PCs on the site and no bios updates that I can find.

What games were you wanting to play? the reason I ask because the graphics card is pretty slow.

andyg4 11:33 09 Sep 2011

don't laugh now!, I'm playing farming simulator 2011. it says a minimum requirement of 2GHz intel processor and recommended,
video card; 256MB VRAM NVIDIA Geforce6800 series ATI Radeon x850 S3 chrome 430GT Do you think its the graphics card?

gengiscant 11:49 09 Sep 2011

Yes I do,I know nothing of your game, I prefer shooters, so I don't know what the graphics are like but an upgrade would certainly help. Would not cost to much either.

By the way who's laughing, not my sort of game, but if your into it, fair enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?